Raising Children Naturally
We humans have been evolving for thousands of years. We are born as creative, intelligent, and curious life forms with an instinctive and inherited "knowledge" on how to respond to the world we are born in. Given the right tools, we naturally thrive.
The right tools… It sounds so deceptively simple. But if it is so simple, then why are our children suffering from obesity, allergies, autism, and other chronic conditions that barely existed 50 years ago? Why are so many parents remiss in shaping their children's eating choices and and guiding them towards healthy lifestyle habits?
Our children (and our pets, which for many of us are our furry kids) are 100% reliant on us for their needs, and that is a pretty hefty responsibility. At the end of the day, you can only raise your children the best that you can. But there is a responsibility that comes with the "best you can" and that is to become educated on what your children's basic needs are. Feeding them processed and refined junk food, letting them sit in front of a TV all day with little to no exercise, and setting no boundaries is not the best path for a healthy, happy, and well-adjusted child.
As parents, we all have goals for our children. We want them to be healthy, cared for, happy, and well-educated. We want them to grow with a strong sense of integrity and responsibility. We want them to explore their creative and intellectual potential. We may have many wants, but we have to lay the foundation for these wants and that can seem daunting.
As their caretakers, we have a tremendous degree of control over our children's environment and their habits. But in a world where mass media is pulling us in a million different directions and health experts continually contradict eachother about what is right and what is wrong, the answers quickly become muddy. Add to the fact that doctors are not nutritionists, nor are they trained in the subject of nutrition. Even clinical nutritionists and registered dietitians do not fully understand the dangers of things such as pesticides and chemicals and genetically modified foods in today's heavily industrialized food chain. Many are not even aware of the clinical studies linking pesticides to the rising rates of childhood leukemia, autism, and neurological disorders.
It can be very challenging for a parent to understand right from wrong when it comes to raising children. If the experts can't seem to agree, it is no wonder a new parent can feel completely overwhelmed trying to figure it all out!
- Formula or breast milk - is there a difference? (yes, a huge difference)
- What if I don't want to breast feed? (think again, unless you have a medical reason not to)
- Is there a big difference between organic vs. non-organic foods? yes, (a huge difference)
- Is pasteurized milk unhealthy? (yes, very much so)
- Is it true that breast fed babies suffer less illnesses, allergies, and infections? (yes, it's true)
- Is soy milk unhealthy? Isn't infant soy milk banned in other countries? (yes, and yes)
- Is my doctor the best person to advise me on my child's food choices? (no, they are not nutritionists)
- How do I take care of my child's teeth? (first and foremost, with the right foods)
- Should I give my child supplements? (never - not unless they have a clinically diagnosed condition)
- Will the pesticides sprayed on food affect my child? (absolutely - they are dangerous)
- Is second hand smoke really that dangerous? (yes, very much so)
When it comes to diet, we have very important choices to make, and before we make them, it is important we understand these choices and their consequences. The path of health or disease are two very different paths. We owe it to ourselves and our children to follow the path of health, and that requires a bit of guidance.
Healthy Diet Choices
When it comes to feeding your children healthy, nutritious foods, it couldn't be easier. Natural, whole foods that are free of chemicals, processing, and genetic modifications are the healthy foods that will set the tone for your child's long term well-being.
Why Breast Feeding Is Important
Pasteurized vs. Raw Dairy
Why Organic Food is Important
Pesticides have been conclusively linked to serious childhood health conditions such as autism, neuroblastomas, neurological disorders, childhood leukemia, brain disorders, and ADD.
Learn more about why you should never feed foods sprayed with pesticides to infants and children.
The Body Healer Protocol
Explore the protocol to learn about:
Raising Healthy Children
Healthy children are not only the product of a healthy diet, but also a nurturing and healthy environment. Let's take a look at some of the things you can do to help them grow into happy and thriving, well-adjusted kids (and help save your sanity too!)
Before Birth - Prenatal Care
Why Kids Are Getting Sicker & Fatter
Healthy, Strong Teeth
View Sources & References
- Raising Baby Green, by author Dr. Alan Greene, M. D.
- Natural Baby & Childcare, by author Dr. Lauren Feder, M.D.
- Quantitative EEG & Neurofeedback, by authors Thomas H. Budzynski, Helen K. Budzynski, James R. Evans, & Andrew Abarbanel
- Dr. Rima Laibow